This page contains release notes about free product updates that address compatibility issues in Sketchpad.
To check whether there are updates for your currently-installed version of Sketchpad, launch Sketchpad and choose Help | Check for Updates. To determine the precise version number of your existing Sketchpad installation, start the program: The release number appears on the title page when you start Sketchpad or when you choose "About Sketchpad..." from the Apple or Help menu.
If your school or institution currently has a Sketchpad Version 4 license, contact your sales representative to discuss upgrading to Sketchpad Version 5.
The latest major version of The Geometer's Sketchpad is Version 5, first released in November 2009. The latest minor update is 5.06, which is a free update for Version 5 users. If you already use Version 5, when you install the latest version it will continue to use your existing license. For details on minor updates, consult the release notes.
Version 5.06 Release Notes
- Functions defined by a Drawing no longer fail to fit the greatest height of the Drawing when the Drawing is highly rotated.
- Custom Tools that both match certain Givens to existing sketch objects and create points-on-objects on their Givens no longer occasionally fail to match properly.
- Several example documents in the "Elementary and Middle School Mathematics" folder have undergone minor improvements.
- (Windows) The Status Bar now provides more accurate messages when deregistration fails.
- (Windows) Inactive windows no longer occasionally become inappropriately active after showing a progress dialog.
- (Windows) Backclicking measurements with the Calculator up now works when using a finger on a Windows 8 Tablet.
- (Windows) A rare crash involving Presentation buttons while using a Smartboard is no longer possible.
- (Macintosh) Sketchpad is no longer incompatible with OS X Parental Controls on OS X Snow Leopard.
- (Macintosh) The application no longer becomes unresponsive after OS X Parental Controls displays a dialog box during registration.
Version 5.05 Release Notes
- The File menu now supports opening cloud-based documents from Sketchpad Sketch Exchange.
- Sketchpad is now codesigned for Windows Authenticode and Macintosh Gatekeeper verification.
- PowerPC Macintosh computers are no longer supported with this version of Sketchpad.
- Opening scripts with constructed Presentation Action Buttons from Given Action Buttons no longer causes sporadic crashes.
- Chrome browsers run JavaSketches locally without giving invalid error on missing JSP jar file.
- Arcs can now be dilated properly under negative scale factors.
- Parametrically colored objects are now colored correctly at maximum hue values.
- Parameters with value 355 are no longer surprisingly converted to 133*PI.
- Status messages for the Marker Tool have been improved.
- Erasing fresh ink with the Marker Tool no longer incorrectly creates angle markers or tick markers.
- Measurements of straight angles are now mathematically consistent.
- Angle markers on straight angles now always appear with the correct orientation.
- Reflex angle markers display properly even at 360 degrees.
- The cursor now correctly updates while erasing ink.
- (Macintosh) Plot Properties no longer shows 500,000 samples as a suggested number of samples.
- (Macintosh) Scrolling in dialog boxes now displays without screen garbage on OS X 10.7 (Lion).
- (Macintosh) The Text Palette Color menu now displays properly on Retina displays.
- (Macintosh) Pasting some imported digital pictures no longer crashes.
- (Macintosh) Page Tabs are displayed crisply on OS X 10.7 (Lion).
- (Macintosh) Copying to the clipboard on OS X 10.7.4 while Sketchpad is running in the background no longer causes sporadic crashes.
- (Windows) The help button in the License Information dialog box now properly links to the license topic in the Reference Center.
- (Windows) Sketchpad no longer crashes when plugging and unplugging speakers while playing sounds.
- (Windows) Status line hints for the Graph menu are now correct.
- (Windows) The uninstaller now recognizes pre-existing registrations even with spaces in the license name.
- (Windows) Back-clicking measurements from the Calculator and other dialog boxes now works properly on all SMART Boards.
The Geometer's Sketchpad Version 4 was first released in December 2001, and has been replaced by Version 5. The last minor update to version 4 was 4.07, and version 4 users are encouraged to use that version until they can upgrade to version 5. Downloadable updaters are available below. For details on minor updates, consult the release notes.
The 4.07 update can be applied to existing installations of Sketchpad 4.0x. Download the updater appropriate to your platform and license below. Note that updaters only work for the given type of license; for example, you cannot use the Full Edition updater to update a Student Edition of Sketchpad. These updates apply only to English-language editions of Sketchpad released by Key Curriculum Press.
Full Edition (Single User; 10 User; or Site License)
Macintosh Users: If your installed version is 4.00, 4.01, or 4.02, you will not be able to update to Version 4.07. As of 4.05, Macintosh Updaters will only update applications stored in folders named "Sketchpad." If you have renamed your application folder after Sketchpad was originally installed, or moved the application outside of its original folder, temporarily move it back into a folder named "Sketchpad" before updating.